CHARACTERISTICS OF "SCHOLARLY" ARTICLES:
- Based on academic research.
- Author(s) clearly identified with credentials.
- Primarily of interest to others in same or similar field.
- Usually follow format: abstract, introduction, discussion and references.
- Usually “peer-reviewed” articles, which means that the articles are evaluated by individuals in the same field with the same level of education. The purpose of peer-review is to maintain an academic standard of quality.
CHARACTERISTICS OF "POPULAR" ARTICLES:
- Not based on academic research, but relies on secondary sources for information.
- Author, if identified at all, is usually a journalist, rather than an expert in a particular field of study.
- Primarily of general interest.
- Do not follow any particular format.