Excellence of execution in the artistic technique employed;
- Is it beautiful, interesting, unique?
- Are the images clear or muddled? Do you have to guess what they are trying to show?
Excellence of pictorial interpretation of story, theme, or concept;
- Do the colors suit the tone of the story?
- Do the illustrations change the meaning of the story? If they do, why? Does the interpretation feel off?
Appropriateness of style of illustration to the story, theme or concept;
- Does the style of art match the story?
- Are they too bright or too dark for the mood of the story?
Delineation of plot, theme, characters, setting, mood or information through the pictures;
- Can you guess some or all of the plot based on the illustrations alone?
Excellence of presentation in recognition of a child audience.
- Are the illustration appropriate for children? Are they appropriate for age group?